“The Retreat” was built in 1867 with expectations of a big family. Edward & Eliza Browne had 12 children and eight of the rooms were bedrooms. Some of the uses of the rooms have changed but the layout of house hasn’t. Edward & Eliza would still feel at home.
We have two guest bedrooms available. Our guest accommodation is upstairs and you will have that floor to yourselves. The bathroom is right next-door to one bedroom and a few paces from the other.
We enjoy hosting two couples travelling together, but it is our policy to have only one group at a time staying in the house. This is to ensure that you will not have to share a bathroom with someone you don’t know.
There also is an option to use the fully self-contained cottage with en suite bathroom.
· Both guest bedrooms in “The Retreat” have queen beds. One room also has a single bed.
· Many of our guests have dinner with us. Some prior notice is essential.
· 3 courses of traditional New Zealand country fare, using where possible ingredients selected from our own farm, orchard and garden.
· A cooked breakfast is always available, or just cereal and toast, if preferred. Many of our guests ask Colleen for her lovely homemade granola recipe. Come and try some for yourself!
· If you need any washing done, just ask us. We are happy to help.
Weaving Studio and shop.
· Colleen has been a spinner and weaver for over thirty years and she uses the wool from our own sheep. Please ask if you would like a spinning demonstration. Our shop stocks the items she has created.
· We have about an acre of garden, designed to be in keeping with the era of the house. There is a croquet lawn overlooked by a gazebo, fishpond, extensive perennial borders and a formal herb garden.
· Our flock of sheep come in many colours – black, brown, grey and white. They have been purpose bred for high quality wool for handcrafts. They are very friendly and love visitors to hand feed them. New lambs are born in September.
Our one-bedroom cottage is fully self-contained. The price includes a full cooked breakfast at “The Retreat”. The cottage is in the garden just 25 metres from the house
· Double bed
· Ensuite bathroom
· Kitchen (with cooking facilities)
· Lounge, with extra single bed
· Laundry facilities